Crystal Palace have sacked Frank de Boer after just 77 days as in charge of the eagles, according to Sky sources, ex-England boss Roy Hodgson is set to replace him at Selhurst Park. The Dutchman, who succeeded Sam Allardyce in June, lost all four of his Premier League games without scoring; the worst start of any top-flight club in 93 years.
The Eagles dominated in a 1-0 defeat at Burnley on Sunday and De Boer hoped an improved performance would save him, but it is understood he has been relieved of his duties as of Monday morning. De Boer had been appointed to revamp Palace’s style of football and make them more effective in possession; mirroring that of Ajax, with whom he won four Eredivisie titles before resigning in 2016.
After appointing the 47-year-old in June, chairman Steve Parish said: “There were 37 managers on the shortlist. I talked to all of them and said ‘we need an evolution over a period of time’. “The technical detail is Frank’s world. We need to find a way of breaking down teams that give us the ball. If teams give us the ball, typically we lose. If we give them the ball, we beat them.”
After a full pre-season schedule, De Boer’s side lost 3-0 at home to newly-promoted Huddersfield on the opening day, but improved against Liverpool despite slipping to a 1-0 defeat. Palace beat Sky Bet Championship side Ipswich in the Carabao Cup but then lost 2-0 at home to Swansea before the international break, sparking speculation that his job was already on the line, followed by the loss at Turf Moor.
De Boer had vowed to fight and said he was “convinced” they could achieve their objectives despite admitting he did not know what his future held beyond the weekend.